The total imports to the Maldives in December 2022 rose by 27%, reports the Maldives Customs Service. Maldives imported MVR5.6 billion worth of commodities in the review month.
Additionally, imports excluding fuel rose by 24% as well, which is MVR4.6 billion worth of goods.
According to the authority’s recent update, apart from a significant rise in the total imports, the exports increased by 35% in the review month. Maldives exported MVR299 million worth of commodities in December.
Despite significant improvement in imports for the month, Customs revenue declined by 2%; which is MVR356 million. Royalties collected in December 2022 stood at MVR1.2 billion.
Major Importing Categories
- Fuel (marine gas oil; diesel, petrol, aviation gas): MVR1.1 billion
- Food items (excluding pork, alcohol, tobacco): MVR1 billion
- Vessels, aircraft & parts thereof: MVR848 million
- Machinery & mechanical appliance; electrical: MVR828 million
- Base metal and articles of base metal: MVR372 million
Major Importing Countries
- France: MVR766 million | 14%
- Oman: MVR754 million | 13%
- India: MVR724 million | 13%
- Singapore: MVR694 million | 12%
- China: MVR532 million | 9%
Major Exported Categories
- Skipjack tuna; stripe-bellied bonito (frozen): MVR188 million
- Skipjack tuna (prepared or processed): MVR35 million
- Yellowfin tuna (frozen): MVR17 million
- Yellowfin tuna (fresh or chilled): MVR16 million
- Yellowfin tuna chunk (fresh or chilled): MVR12 million
Major Exported Countries
- Thailand: MVR199 million | 66%
- Germany: MVR20 million | 7%
- UK: MVR14 million | 5%
- USA: MVR9 million | 3%
- France: MVR9 million | 3%
Customs reported a total of 123 vessel arrivals and 115 departures in the review month.