News
The ministry conveyed its condolences to the families and loved ones of the deceased, stating that authorities continue to work closely with the families and Italian diplomatic representatives to ensure all necessary arrangements are handled with care and respect.
Mohamed Hilmy
20 May 2026, 10:25
The Maldives government has confirmed the recovery of all four Italian nationals who had been missing following the diving incident in Vaavu Atoll on 14 May 2026, bringing the extensive search and rescue operation to a close.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation said the victims recovered were Giorgia Sommacal, Monica Montefalcone, Federico Gualtieri and Muriel Oddenino. Earlier, authorities had recovered Gianluca Benedetti, meaning all five victims of the tragedy have now been accounted for.
The ministry conveyed its condolences to the families and loved ones of the deceased, stating that authorities continue to work closely with the families and Italian diplomatic representatives to ensure all necessary arrangements are handled with care and respect.
The government also praised the efforts of the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF), Maldives Police Service and especially the Coast Guard for their dedication throughout the difficult operation.
“The scale and difficulty of the effort reflects the highest standards of our national defence and rescue services,” the statement read.
Special appreciation was also extended to Divers Alert Network (DAN) and international specialist teams that assisted Maldivian authorities during the operation.
The ministry further paid tribute to Sergeant First Class Mohamed Mahdi, who lost his life during the rescue mission.
“We continue to honour the memory of Sergeant First Class Mohamed Mahdi, whose sacrifice in the course of this operation will not be forgotten,” the statement said.
The diving incident occurred in Vaavu Atoll, one of the Maldives’ most popular diving destinations, prompting a large-scale multinational search and rescue effort over several days.
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
News
Maldives Welcomes UK Decision to Suspend Tuna Import Tariffs
20 May 2026
News
Bank of Maldives renews partnership with Maldives Surfing Association
20 May 2026
News
MACL Successfully Concludes Hajj 1447 AH Departure Operations at VIA
19 May 2026
Features
Revolutionizing the Southern Economy: Establishment of Addu Free Zone
19 May 2026